Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Bible Study starter: week one

 



John 12:26King James Version (KJV)

26 If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

My interpretation is Jesus is saying, do as I do, watch how I do it and you do the same. Just like God took me home at the end of the day, He's going to take you home at the end of the day as well. He's going to keep His promise. Let me show you how." Just like the saying, "WWJD" what would Jesus do? Well, Jesus is telling me do what I say like I'm telling you to do it, and you'll be fine. Trust me, God's got you. Well, how do I get there? Jesus is like, I'm telling you how to get there, just follow me. I've got you.

 

Jesus follows the will of his Father, so we should be doing the same; keeping his commandments and turning away from sinful choices that we have control over in our lives. How can we serve you? Honor you? You can serve and honor me by doing what I've asked you to do and in return, I'll keep my word. I'm the only way to God so follow my lead and I'll take you there. Jesus was taken up into Heaven to be at the right hand of the Father and so shall we also, go with Jesus to serve God in Heaven.  Jesus made a physical sacrifice under a spiritual law to honor His Father and see that His Father's will is done. Just as Jesus did, we should also make sacrifices to be honored in the eyes of the Father.

 

Now, how do we do that?  Turn from your old ways of worldly acts of sin and turn your heart and mind to the Word of God and let the Holy Spirit guide you in your thoughts, your actions and your steps in all that you do. This may feel like a sacrifice to you; like giving up your favorite types or forms of entertainment or past times or vices that you believe bring you pleasure or happiness. I'm not saying be miserable, serve God, go to Heaven. No! That's ridiculous. I'm saying that letting go of some of the hurtful, harmful things in your life that are killing your mind and your body may be just what your soul needs to be happy and healthy. When you are in line with His Will, you will be made to walk straight. You will be strong in spirit. And just like with Jesus, God will keep His Word. Jesus was taken up and given the Heavens and the Earth, Lord of Lords, King of Kings and just as He, God will keep His Word with You also. Walk in the way that you should go, as God has asked, and through Jesus, you will not spend eternity separated from Him; you will be with Him in Heaven to enjoy the fruits of your physical and spiritual labors.

 

So, when do I start? Now. If you are not a believer and follower of Christ, confess you are a sinner and in need of His gift of love and everlasting life and start building that eternal relationship today through the Holy Spirit. If you are already a Christian, then this verse is a reminder that we should always be about our Father's business, just as Jesus is, and just like Jesus, when the work is done, God will keep His promise and bring us home. We may grow weary and feel defeated at times, but this verse reminds us, it is worth it. Don't stop. Keep going. God will get us through it and bring us home in the end.

 

 DeMaster 9/6/2016

No comments: